Vilija Salienė (Vilnius Pedagogical University)
Educational reform in Lithuania has entered a third decade. In order to understand the present guidelines of didactics for native-language cultivation, it is necessary to analyze the origin and development of these didactics, and to discuss the fundamental guidelines. The development of didactics for the cultivation of the Lithuanian language can be divided into three stages: 1547–1940, 1940–1987, and 1988–2012.
- There is focus on the problems of perception of the read text, as well as on the relationship between reading and writing.
- Teaching of grammar is based on text.
- The approach is formed that didactics for the cultivation of language is not only the science of teaching, but also the science of learning.
- There is more focus on formal teaching of grammar and knowledge is emphasised.
- There is a departure from the didactic guidelines of 1918–1940, which emphasised the relationship between reading and writing, as well as teaching grammar based on text.
- Didactics for the cultivation of language emphasizes the explanatory way of teaching and learning.
- Explanatory teaching is changed to educational; emphasis is put on activities that stimulate production skills.
- There is focus on the cultivation of general and subject competences.
- Problems of the integration of the content for cultivation are formulated.